Home Care Services

The services we can offer are varied and are led by you, at your own pace and as you require them. Some of the services we offer are:

  • Cleaning, including one off spring cleans and washing of curtains and blinds
  • Transport to Medical Appointments or Hospital stays
  • Transport for Social Commitments and Maintaining Relationships, including taking you to visit friends and family
  • Take you shopping, or if you are unwell, go shopping for you using a list
  • Assisting with having a shower
  • Access to a Hairdresser or other beauty therapies
  • Assisting to prepare and cook meals
  • Maintaining your yard – lawn mowing and gutters
  • Assisting with Pet Care
  • Sourcing and supply of Mobility Equipment
  • Referral to Allied Health Professionals
  • Assisting you to take your Medications
  • Accessing exercise classes or Wellness Clinics to maintain or increase your functionality
  • Assistance to navigate the Aged Care Sector
  • Training on how to use technology to keep you connected to your Family and the World
  • Organise your services to be transferred with you if you travel
  • Group activities based on your hobbies and interests
  • Well-being Checks to see how you are

This list is not a complete list and is only restricted by your imagination. If you need support with anything, ask and we will do our best to assist you

These services can be paid for either by a Government funded Home Care Package, Department of Veterans Affairs or via Private – Full Cost Services.

Level 1, 2, 3 & 4 Home Care Packages Explained

Level 1 is for people with basic care needs, such as help around the home.

Level 2 is for people with low-level care needs, which can include help around the home, grocery shopping, social outings or visits, home podiatry or gardening assistance.

Level 3 is for people with intermediate care needs, which can include all of the above plus services such as personal care, meal preparation, and help with medication.

Level 4 is for people who need high-level support, such as personal or nursing care once or twice daily.

Home Care Respite Cottage

UPA recognises the pivotal role of Carers in maintaining their loved one’s independence and keeping them at home as an active member of their community. We want to be able to support you in this role by allowing you to have planned respite options. You may choose to have 2 nights respite, or even a couple of weeks.

We have identified the need for home style respite based on feedback from the community that they do not want to attend a residential aged care facility for respite.

Our respite cottage has been designed to mimic a home environment to allow you to feel comfortable and at ease. It is set in a private, secure gated community with manicured gardens in Western Sydney, close to shops and public transport.

This service can be funded in a range of ways. If you are recipient of a Home Care Package, your provider may be able to pay for it from your Package of funds. If you do not have a Home Care Package, you may choose to pay for it privately. The fees depend on your level of need.   You can design your stay to meet your individual needs and to be the way you want it to be.

Home Care “Connections” Social Group

We offer a Social Program for our home care consumers where we provide a space where you can socialise and join in a range of activities such as arts and crafts, outdoor games, outings to interesting locations and events, board games, music and film screenings. All activities are developed based on your interests and preferences.

This Program is held in a friendly and supportive environment and allows us to focus on the wellness and lifestyle of our consumer, whilst promoting independence through social support.

The Social Program is held at our Pendle Hill and Wahroonga sites, twice a week.

The program offers:

  • Morning tea and Lunch
  • Activities
  • Transport

Activities can be funded through your Home Care Package or privately, with a small daily contribution made by you.

Download the Social Program Calender here

Veterans Home Care

If you are a Gold Card or White Card holder with low care needs, DVA’s Veterans’ Home Care (VHC) program can assist you to continue living in your home by providing you with a small amount of practical help. The VHC Program also assists carers in recognition of the vital role they play in the veteran and defence community.

By way of explanation, a small amount of practical help refers to low-level support services provided at a low intensity on a short-term or ongoing basis, or increased intensity on a short-term or episodic basis. Eg. After an episode of acute care, the intensity can be increased to assist with recovery.

The VHC program provides a range of home care services designed to maintain your health, wellbeing and independence.  For information on complex or high-level care needs refer to Navigating Aged Care.

DVA has contracted organisations to provide assessment and coordination of VHC services (known as VHC Assessment Agencies) and contracted organisations to deliver VHC services (known as VHC Service Providers) across Australia.


VHC Assessment Agencies

VHC Assessment Agencies assess your needs and approve services if appropriate. Where services are approved, the VHC Assessment Agency, in consultation with you, will arrange services with a contracted VHC Service Provider. A VHC Care Plan will then be sent to you.

Service approvals are usually for six-month periods. You are then subsequently reassessed and further approvals are dependent on the outcome of that review assessment.

VHC Service Providers
VHC Service Providers, like UPA Sydney Home Care, deliver the services approved by VHC Assessment Agencies. The VHC Service Provider will also collect a copayment from you, only when it is stated on your VHC Care Plan.

VHC Service Providers are not required to establish eligibility, assess service needs, determine levels of copayments, make changes to services or approve additional or new services. However, if a VHC Service Provider believes that your needs have changed, they can refer you to the VHC Assessment Agency for a reassessment of your needs.

Services offered under VHC

VHC services include:

  • Domestic Assistance
  • Personal Care
  • Safety-related Home and Garden Maintenance
  • Respite Care

In addition, Social Assistance services as part of the Coordinated Veterans’ Care (CVC) Program are provided through the VHC Program.

Privately Funded Supports

UPA understands that not everyone is eligible for a Home Care Package, or they have exhausted all their funds and still require additional service to remain independent. As a result, we offer a suite of private services, which you pay for from your own income (without the Government subsidy).

You can contact the team for an obligation free quote.


With over 100 years’ combined experience in the Aged Care sector, the UPA Sydney Home Care team have a comprehensive understanding of your needs, and how to support you to live the life you choose.

Home Care - the team at UPA Sydney

Jimmy Yeung (Admin), Mavis Dwyer (Coordinator), Annabel Huang (Registered Nurse), Carole Kingham (Coordinator), Rayna Knox (DVA & Scheduling Coordinator) & Matt Dalley (Home Care Manager)


Most recently, UPA Sydney Home Care underwent an internal Audit, completed by Aged and Community Services Australia (ACSA) under the new Aged Care Quality Standards. This has proven that we are proactive in the care that we provide and are compliant with the Legislative requirements.

In November of 2016, we successfully underwent a Quality Review, completed by the Australian Aged Care Quality Agency (now known as the Aged Care Quality and Safety Commission). We are due for our next Performance Assessment in 2019.

About UPA Sydney
Home Care Services Sydney

Access to funded service

To register your details:
Call 1800 200 422
or visit myagedcare.gov.au

The information My Aged Care will ask you during this process may include:

  • Your Medicare Card details
  • Your aged care needs and service needs
  • Your health concerns
  • Any medical assessments and service referrals you’ve had to date
  • Any aged care services you already receive
  • How you are managing around the house
  • Any health and safety concern you have around the house
  • Other questions to help determine your aged care support needs.

If you’d like someone to contact My Aged Care on your behalf, you’ll need to give your consent for them to represent you. My Aged Care can also provide interpreters for you if you need one.

We at UPA Sydney Home Care can also visit you at your home and assist you to register, at no expense to you.

Once My Aged Care has registered your details, they will refer you to your local Aged Care Assessment Team (ACAT) for an assessment. ACAT assessors are usually nurses, social workers or other health care professionals employed by the Australian Government to help you determine the level of support you require – from home care services to residential aged care.

Soon after you register with My Aged Care, you’ll be contacted by your local ACAT to arrange an assessment.

ACAT will book a time to visit you, either at your home or in hospital, if you’ve been admitted, to assess your health, mobility and aged care needs, and recommend the aged care services that will suit you best.

It’s a good idea to a family member, carer or friend with you during your assessment, so they can support you and clarify things you may not understand.

Your ACAT assessor will ask you for a wide range of information, including:

  • If you agree to have the assessment
  • What support you already have, including care provided by family members
  • Your health and lifestyle
  • Any memory issues you may have
  • How you’re coping at home now
  • Whether any safety improvements could be made around your home
  • Permission to speak to other people involved in your care, such as your GP and family members.

This is also a good opportunity for you to ask ACAT about aged care in your local area – including what services are available to support you and your carers, who provides them, and how much they cost.

My Aged Care will write to you after your ACAT assessment to let you know the outcome. What happens next will depend on what type of care you need.

If you’re eligible for home care services, your letter will outline what funding you’re approved to receive. This will depend on your home care package level:

Level 1 is for people with basic care needs, such as help around the home.

Level 2 is for people with low-level care needs, which can include help around the home, grocery shopping, social outings or visits, home podiatry or gardening assistance.

Level 3 is for people with intermediate care needs, which can include all of the above plus services such as personal care, meal preparation, and help with medication.

Level 4 is for people who need high-level support, such as personal or nursing care once or twice daily.

If you’re approved, you’ll join the national queue or waitlist.

It can take six to 18 months for a home care package to become available and you can receive your funding.

When this happens, My Aged Care will write to you with your unique referral code. You’ll then have 56 days to choose your aged care service provider and enter a Home Care Agreement.

If you haven’t already, contact us to discuss your aged care needs and find out how we can help.

If you’re interested in choosing us for your aged care services, we’ll work with you to find the right  home care services for your needs. You’ll need to enter into an agreement with us before we can start providing you with services.

Each month, your support Coordinator will check in with you to see if your needs have changed and adjust your services accordingly. We partner with you to ensure you live the life you choose. We can also help you arrange another ACAT assessment if your aged care needs change significantly.

If you would like to learn more about the services or supports we can provide you, or your loved one, please either Call: 02 8197 9306 or Email: homecare@sydney.upa.org.au

Careers at UPA Sydney

How can we help?